Now that you’ve decided to embark on an email campaign, your next task is to build an email marketing list, but where do you get it from? Many people succomb to the pitfall of ‘buying’ email marketing lists. Don’t make the same mistake.
You’ve very likely seen the ads that offer you millions of email addresses for a relatively low cost, well if you fall for one of these ads, you will end up labled as a ‘spammer’ almost as quickly as you send the email. Likely the vast majority of the messages you send will end up in ‘junk’ boxes, and you’ll reap zero benefit from your efforts. A good 70% of the addresses you attempt to purchase are, in fact, bogus or have been duplicated and the remaining 30% have not requested to receive your message.
Some people elect to ‘rent’ lists from varying submission services, but this can end up costing anywhere from 20 to 30 cents per email. What do you do? Use these next 8 ideas to get the ideas flowing and build your own targeted list. Remember, your primary goal should be to send emails to people who actually want to hear from you.
The big question, “where do you find these people?” Your best bet is to start with diverse marketing methods and pay attention to your web traffic. Below you will find a list, contributed by an existing email marketing company, of things that will ensure your email marketing list is successful.
1. Your Webpage — request individuals sign up for your guestbook your online electronic magazine your newsletter, your offer for a free report or book and any contest that you have to offer. Be sure and put this opportunity on every page of your web site.
2. Try Direct-Mail Marketing — mail out flyers or postcards to all potential customers.When you design your postcards, be sure to request that people visit your site and sign up to get valued information and relevent messages.
3. Consider Telemarketers — consider using a telemarketing service or telemarketing agent to make contact with your potential clients. Request that your telemarketers require e-mail addresses (it’s a good idea to offer incentives for having clients give out their e-mail address [contest, free trials, etc.]).
4. Consider Using a Broker — request websites that offer brokerage services, with heavy traffic, to link to your service and offer sign up for information. Most brokers will provide this service for an average of $.10 to $.15 per e-mail message.
5. Get out There and Hoof It — this is a great opportunity for students who are off during the summer. Then students door-to-door, offering information exchange for e-mail addresses.
6. Consider Hosting an Online Contest — open contests are extremely effective way to obtain e-mail addresses. On contest entry forms request e-mail addresses as method of approval for contest entry.
7. Get Physical — if you operate a physical store, be sure and request the customers provide you with their e-mail address at checkout. You may also want to consider sending out surveys via the mail and running additional contests to gain access to consumer contact information.
As you can see there is more than one way to ‘skin a cat’ when you need names for your email marketing campaign. You don’t have to resort to buying email marketing lists.